Summer 2021: School Re-Opening Survey
Parent Institute for Quality Education (PIQE) conducted a survey of 904 families throughout the state of California, seeking to understand family priorities and areas of concern regarding school reopening and student vaccinations for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Key takeaways include:
- 75% prefer their student attend school in person Fall 2021.
- 33% indicated their school has not communicated safety protocols in the event of positive cases at the school site in Fall 2021.
- 60% indicated being extremely or moderately concerned about illness outbreaks in schools.
- 62% indicated being extremely or moderately concerned about their student’s academic learning.
- 59% indicated tutoring as an essential priority for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- 73% indicated information on how to use digital tools as a high priority or essential.
- 95% would like more information on the academic supports available to their students to strengthen learning opportunities.
- 90% would like more information on the social-emotional supports available to their students to address the impact of the pandemic.
- 14% completed the survey in English
- 86% completed the survey in Spanish
- 53% Elementary
- 23% Middle School
- 24% High School
- A majority (70%) indicated annual pre-tax income under $50,000
- A majority (96%) identified as Latino/a/x